Here’s another strawberry recipe that we love. This has been a favorite dessert that my two sweet chic-a-dis love to make. This is the second time they’ve made this dessert for me. The first time was for my birthday a year and a half ago. This recipe was inspired by Nigella’s chocolate raspberry pavlova.
We love it with strawberries. My children made this last week with very little supervision. My daughter beat the egg whites, added all of the ingredients and chopped up the chocolate chips.
My son beat the cream into a nice whipped cream to be added once the meringue has cooked and cooled. I helped them place it in the oven and remove it from the oven. It was nice and perfect! Soft, chewy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
For the meringue base:
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces of bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
For the topping:
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- a small carton of fresh strawberries chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons coarsely grated bittersweet chocolate (we had small chocolate chips that we couldn’t grate so it was chopped into smaller pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites until satiny and peaks form.
- Beat in the sugar spoonful at a time until the meringue is stiff and shiny. Add the cocoa vinegar and chopped chocolate.
- Then gently fold everything until the cocoa is thoroughly mixed in. Mound onto a baking sheet in a fat circle approximately 9 inches in diameter, smoothing the sides and top.
- Place in the oven, then immediately turn the temperature down to 300F and cook for about an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes.
- When it’s ready it should look crispy around the edges and be dry on top. The center should feel soft.
- Turn off the oven and open the door slightly and let the chocolate meringue cool completely.
- When you’re ready to serve. Place it on a flat plate.
- Whisk the cream till thick but still soft and pile it on top of the meringue then scatter over the strawberries and rain over with the chopped chocolates.